This and That

Tuesday I worked really hard in my garden, which I described in my post, Expansive Dreams. The next day I had absolutely no energy. It didn’t help that we had scattered rain showers–just enough rain that I couldn’t work outside. So I slept instead.

Later in the afternoon, the UPS delivered the metal bed frame that I had ordered. Danny was very excited and he ran up to the delivery truck door when I let him out. The UPS man gave him a couple of dog biscuits and a bit of lovings.

The package was large and heavy so I enlisted JJ to help me take it into the master bedroom. As soon as we had eaten supper, I put the bed frame together. It wasn’t difficult, but I still felt satisfied at my accomplishment. Our bed has a headboard, footboard, and side boards that fasten together. I put the metal frame inside it. I was able to connect the headboard and sideboards together, and one side of the footboard, but for some reason I couldn’t get the last corner together. The bed frame was a hair too big–although why it fit at the headboard and not the footboard, I don’t know. EJ came home as I was struggling with it–he had to work late and got home at 7:30 p.m. He worked on it a bit and finally “corn-cobbled” it together until he can work on a permanent fix at a later date. Since the metal frame and the wooden bed aren’t connected, it won’t cause us any real problems.

The bed frame is very comfortable so we might have finally solved our uncomfortable bed problem. EJ said he even woke up pain-free–although he had to plunger the toilet and that hurt his back again. But still….! There is improvement!

My expanded garden need more plants

Yesterday was a beautiful day and I had regained my energy so I worked in my garden all day (except for a brief nap). I scrounged around in the garage and found some more wooden boxes. I took photos of some of them with my phone and sent them to EJ at work, asking if he minded if I took them. I didn’t want to take any that he wants to use for projects. I also found some pots. I arranged them on the wooden pallets I had dragged to the duck pen the other day. I gathered some old straw and put a bit in each container and then I shoveled three wheelbarrows full of dirt from our black dirt place and divided the dirt among them. I ran out of time and energy before I got all the boxes/pots filled so today I filled two more wheelbarrows with dirt and finished filling the containers and then I mixed in a little mulch in each.

Now all I have to do is get more plants to fill the containers. I would like to buy strawberries, chamomile, mint, and borage. We also need to plant the garlic and EJ’s onion sets. Oh, I finally found the package of lettuce seeds that I had misplaced.  They were in my jeans pocket and went through the wash. Oops. I don’t know if they will grow now, but I planted them just in case they are still good. We will buy more lettuce seeds in case they aren’t. We will go to our favorite plant nursery on Sunday.

The ducks are doing what they are supposed to do: wandering among the pallets eating insects. I call them my Duck Patrol. The chickens are responsible for the compost pile.

Last night I was sitting at my computer when I heard a cat growling.  I know what that means–and sure enough, Little Bear had a mouse in his mouth. Timmy and Luke followed Little Bear around as Little Bear growled to tell them to back off. He let the mouse go and it ran toward me so I screamed and climbed on a chair. I’m not exactly scared of mice but I don’t want them climbing up my leg either. JJ laughed. (EJ was asleep and my scream sort of woke him up). Little Bear caught it again, but then released it. I didn’t find any dead mouse body this morning so I assume the mouse got away. I wish the cats would just kill the durn rodents. At times like these I really miss our cat, Princess Winter. She didn’t really like the other cats so she mostly lived upstairs at our old house. Whenever she caught a mouse, she immediately pounced on it and killed it. Sometimes we could hear her crunching bones under our bed. Sort of gruesome, but she got the job done quickly and efficiently–no playing with mice and letting them escape.

Beautiful rainbow

This morning when I came back into the house after letting the ducks and chickens out of their coop, I happened to glance outside–and then I shouted, “OH, WOW, WOW, WOW! I NEED MY CAMERA!” Alerted, EJ went to the window and he was overcome with WOWs too! There was a beautiful vibrant rainbow in the sky. We agreed that it was the most vibrant rainbow we had ever seen. I went outside with my camera, but I was unable to fully capture the intense colors of the rainbow. It was much more vibrant than this photo shows. I felt as if I truly live in an Enchanted Forest.

By the way, the Jews say a beautiful blessing whenever they see a rainbow:

Baruch ata Ado-nai Elo-heinu melech ha’olam zocher ha’brit v’ne’eman bivrito v’kayam b’ma’amaro. 

Blessed are You, Lord our G‑d, King of the universe, who remembers the covenant, and is faithful to His covenant, and keeps His promise.

This afternoon I talked on the telephone with one of the co-founders of the abuse ministry who wants me to join their team.  He told me the vision for their ministry, and we discussed our abuse experiences and beliefs/thoughts about it. I think it’s important to make sure that we are on the same page. He planned to only talk to me for an hour, but we ended up talking for an hour and a half. He never did get around to talking about what part he would like me to play in the ministry so he is going to call back later. We will see where it goes from there.


I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: