Stormy Heat


The heat and humidity have been terrible since Saturday. I sometimes joke that I must have some snowman DNA because I feel as if I’m melting in the heat and all the energy drains out of me. I seriously don’t know how people in the South can endure it. I’d much rather have cold than heat.

My Superhero mask.

Saturday my sinuses were throbbing–I suspect it was because of approaching severe weather, although the storms ended up going north of us. A couple of years ago my friend sent me a mask that I can warm up or freeze to sooth my sinuses. I put it in the freezer and then wore it until it warmed up, and then refroze it again. JJ came out of his bedroom, saw me wearing my mask, paused, and gave me a look like “NOW what crazy thing is Mom doing???”  I told him it was my Superhero mask and when I wore it, he couldn’t recognize me. EJ piped up, “Trust me, if you ever wore that in public, there is no way I’d recognize you.” Ha ha. Everyone is a comedian.

The other evening, before it was dark, I opened the door so Danny could go outside and Little Bear escaped. I shouted, “Help! Little Bear is out!” and then I ran outside to try to capture him. As I ran out, I grabbed a can of moist cat food to help entice him to me. He is an indoor cat only and he was under the vehicles but was too nervous to be interested in the food. I ran to the other side of the vehicles so he couldn’t run into the forest. He was nervous and ran toward the front door, but when I followed to let him in, he got scared and ran under the vehicles again. We did this a couple times before JJ came out. I yelled for him to hold the door open, and then I went around the car, Little Bear ran toward the house and through the open door, and the story ended well. Silly cat.

We keep blankets on a stand in our bedroom for when we get cold. It really is the best place for them so they are there even in the summer. Yesterday I was refolding one of them and a large black spider scurried across it. I think it was a wolf spider. EEEEK! I dropped the blanket and ran and  got the spider spray. I sprayed the blanket, sprayed under the bed, sprayed the blanket, sprayed under the cabinet. Then I nudged the blanket and the spider scurried across it again, so I sprayed it again. I took the blanket outside and drapped it across the patio chairs and sprayed it some more. I couldn’t see a body, and if there isn’t a body, I can’t know for sure that the spider is dead, so I sprayed the blanket again. Then I thought that with all the spraying, the blanket must now be very toxic and unsafe for humans. So I stuffed it in the washer and washed it, and then dried it in the drier. I didn’t see a body, but the spider surely couldn’t have survived all that….right?

After supper, EJ decided that he would cut my hair. He actually does a very good job, I really like what he does, and I think he could easily be a hair stylist. He wanted to do something new so he cut it very short. It almost worked, but we agree that he didn’t quite achieve the style he was trying for and he cut my hair a little too short. He wanted me to comb my hair down in front of my face and then flip it over (I can’t help but think of Prince Charming’s hair flip in Shrek). He said I looked better without a part. However, despite my efforts my hair insists on falling into a part. I told EJ that I really think he needs to give me bangs. I told him that it was ok if this current effort didn’t exactly turn out as planed because the only way to get good at cutting hair is to do it and hair will always grow out–although perhaps he should cut my hair in the winter so I can wear a hat if it doesn’t turn out. Ha ha! I told EJ that letting him cut my hair is an indication of how deeply I trust him.

Although the first storm that rolled through during the weekend missed us, we were hit with a couple others over the following days. The storms did not diminish the heat and humidity. I continued to melt and feel drained of energy, so I didn’t accomplish a whole lot this week. This morning, however, the temps were in the mid- to high-60s. It was perfect. After EJ left for work, I walked up and down the driveway six or seven times for exercise. I’m going to try to do that every day, unless it’s too hot in the mornings.

While it was cool, I did a bunch of stuff outside. I dragged the old unusable garden hoses to the old green pickup truck and threw them in the back. We are going to get new hoses soon–like by this weekend. We want one hose for the back yard so I can more easily water the chickens, ducks, and garden, and one hose for the front yard to water the flower garden and EJ’s beloved apple trees.

The climbing roses in the front flower garden needed something taller to climb. I eyed the wooden posts at the edges of the forest that hold my bird houses. They would be perfect if they didn’t have bird houses on them. Then I thought, Oh! They would be even more perfect if I kept the bird houses on them!!! They would be very decorative. And it’s not like the birds ever use the houses. This is the third summer that we have lived in Northern Michigan and I have not yet seen a single bird build a nest in any of the four houses I set up. Why would they be interested in a bird house when they have a whole forest of trees to nest in? Duh.

The front flower garden.

So I took out the t-posts/fencing that weren’t tall enough to adequately hold the roses. I moved them to the smaller rose bush near the front of the garden. Then I pulled up two of the bird house posts out of the ground, dragged them to the flower garden, used a post-hole digger to dig holes, and set the posts in them. I cut off two 10 foot lengths of chicken wire and nailed them to the posts, stretching them between the posts. I put one length of chicken wire high and one length low so all the roses would have something to climb. Then I twined the roses onto the chicken wire. I think it looks really good–although despite my best efforts, I wasn’t able to pack the dirt around the posts firmly enough so the posts keep leaning toward each other a little bit. EJ said he would fix that for me.

The heat rose during the day and overcame the coolness. By the time I finished with the posts and roses, I was melting and drained. I took a small nap before beginning supper preparation.

This evening a big storm came through. The National Weather Service for our area said we could get 60 mph winds and 1″ hail. We saw the storm getting closer on radar, so just before it hit, we went out to shut the chickens and ducks up for the night. Usually I have no problem putting them in because the chickens voluntarily go into their coop at twilight. However, tonight it was an hour earlier than usual and they didn’t want to go in. It’s very difficult to get unwilling chickens in their coop. I picked some lettuce from the garden and tried to lure them in while EJ and JJ went into their side of the outdoor pen and chased them in. They were not happy, but I did a headcount and when I knew that they were all in, I shut their little door. It was no problem herding the ducks into their coop. We got the coop shut up tight just before the storm hit. It has been storming for a few hours now. It rained really hard for a while, but I haven’t really heard strong wind or hail.

Image result for remodeling sign
Soon you might see some changes.

Both Etsy and Facebook will “promote” products for an extra fee. It’s steep enough that I can’t really afford to promote my products, so I think those who can promote their products get more notice and those who don’t get lost in the crowd. EJ and I have been talking for some time about paying for an upgrade to this blog so I can move my store here. I’m not getting rid of my blog; I’m just adding a store section. I will try not to make the store part annoying. We have discussed items EJ can maybe make and sell too. I’m going to take the plunge soon, I think, so you might notice changes that come and go as I try to learn how to do it. It’s sort of an adventure and might be fun.

I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: