A Ruff Night Out

Yesterday there was a strong possibility of seeing the Northern Lights so I went outside at around 11 p.m. in the hope that I would see them. Usually the Northern Lights are low on the horizon and on our hill surrounded by forest we usually can’t see them unless they are high in the sky–or unless we go drive somewhere with a clearer view. Last night the Lights were supposed to be right overhead so we had a good chance of seeing them but I saw nothing except a large wolf spider lurking at the bottom of the porch door. It scared me so much that I declared that I wasn’t going to go out again that night.

Plans have a way of changing.

I was going to go to bed at midnight, as soon as I took my last antibiotic of the day. I have to take them every six hours. I was very tired because I hadn’t slept much the night before. I wondered if the over-the-counter sinus medication kept me awake so I didn’t take it last night just in case. I was hoping for a good night’s sleep.

Hannah tore up some egg cartons a week or so ago.

Hannah was unusually restless last night, wandering around and licking the floor and stuff, which was kind of annoying because she made slurping sounds as she did it. At first I just thought she was acting weird. She does sometimes. She likes to lick things. For example, after we eat popcorn, she licks our shirts as if she’s hoovering up every particle. But she usually goes right to sleep when we go to bed, and last night she didn’t even want to jump on the bed. So I figured that she must have eaten something that disagreed with her. She eats everything and anything she can find–paper towels…grasshoppers…she tore up several egg cartons the other day, as well as an ink pen. She often takes her “eatables” onto our bed. We try to Hannah-proof the house, but she still manages to find things to eat, especially if we leave her alone in the house for any length of time.

Except for being restless, Hannah seemed ok but I worried about her. I was prepared to stay up all night to keep an eye on her. Plus, I couldn’t sleep even if I had wanted to with her being so restless. About 1:30 am I finally took her outside in case she had to vomit any anything. I was scared of the spider lurking near the porch door so I took her through the living room door, which leads out onto our deck. I’ve never seen spiders on the deck although I once saw a snake–I think it was a garter snake– right under the door.

Hannah didn’t vomit, but she did eat a lot of grass. I’ve heard that dogs will often eat grass if their tummies are upset. I think it helps them vomit up bad stuff. So I trusted Hannah to find what she needed. She seemed to carefully select the grass she wanted. She’d snuffle around, eat a bunch of grass, then snuffle around to a new spot and eat more grass. I was out in the dark at 2 am with a dog grazing like a cow. As long as I was out there, I looked up into the night sky to see if I could spot any Northern Lights. I didn’t. Bummer. But there were a billion billion stars out, and the Milky Way was like a rip in the sky. The photo at the top of this post is not mine–it’s from Pixabay, a site that allows people to download royalty-free photos. However, that’s exactly what the sky looked like last night. I have a friend who lives in a city on the east coast. She says she has never seen a sky filled with stars like this. She says she can only see about five stars. That makes me sad because it’s such a breathtaking experience. I hope someday she can see a star-filled sky.

Finally, after a long, long time, I told Hannah it was time to go back inside. She was much calmer when we got back in the house and she went right to sleep. Later this afternoon I found a pile of vomit in the house so she obviously got rid of whatever was troubling her.

For the second night in a row, I had almost no sleep. After EJ drove off to work, I let the chickens out of their coop, took a shower, ate breakfast while my hair dried a little, and then Hannah and I went back to bed. We slept all morning. Occasionally I heard Sassy the rooster crowing through the open window, but it wasn’t annoying and didn’t really wake me up.

The rest of the day was pretty slow. I felt like I had a low battery. I did get to the grocery store for a few items, including a bag of jelly beans. EJ has foods he is supposed to avoid, and I’m more or less following the same diet, although I don’t have to. However, I was craving jelly beans.


2 Comments on “A Ruff Night Out

I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: