Home Sweet Cancer Center

Last night I was so tired that I fell asleep on the loveseat at about 8:30 p.m. I sleep on the loveseat during JJ’s difficult weeks of Chemo so that I’m available if he isn’t feeling well. I slept until my alarm went off at 2 a.m. so that I could get JJ his anti-nausea pill. He needs to have it every eight hours without fail so I set my cellphone alarm to alert me at the proper times. After I gave JJ his pill, I made sure there was wood in the woodstove, I let my dog Danny outside for a bit, and I got on the computer for a few minutes. Then I settled back down on the loveseat and fell back to sleep until 7 a.m.  The loveseat is a bit short to sleep on comfortably, but I always have a cat–or two or three–sleeping on me, and it’s a very cuddly, comforting feeling that I enjoy.

Once up for the day, EJ and I took care of the pets and since we didn’t have to be at the Cancer Center until 11 a.m., I had time to get the dishes done. We are having some very cold, snowy weather this week. Temps are falling into negative numbers and we got quite a bit of snow last night and are expecting more with some winds. Because of the weather,  EJ decided that we’d take the truck to the Cancer Center today. He cleared the snow off the truck, warmed it up, and I went with him to the bank and the gas station. We stopped at the post office, but then realized it wasn’t open yet. It used to open earlier, and I keep forgetting that it doesn’t open until 9 a.m. now. Rats. I haven’t been able to make it to the post office all week, and I had packages waiting. Disappointed, we drove home. We found that in the short time we were gone someone had nicely plowed out our driveways. It is such a delightful and helpful surprise!

EJ shoveled the walks while I did a few things in the house, and then at 9 a.m. we drove back to the post office for our mail. It was good to finally be able to get my packages. While I was waiting for Tim, the postmaster, to get my packages, I noticed a sparrow had gotten into the building. He flew over my head and then landed on a low hanging light. I hope Tim was able to get him outside safely.

Back at home, I opened the packages with the two cool shirts I had bought for JJ, based on two favorite TV programs (Doctor Who and Firefly). I try to get him a t-shirt every long week of Chemo. I let him choose which he wanted this week. The bear hats I ordered for EJ and me also arrived. I really wanted us all to wear them at the Cancer Center. I thought us three sitting in the waiting area with bear hats on would be funny and make people smile, but my guys both said, “No way, not going to happen, over our dead bodies.” EJ said that wearing the bear hat in public puts the “bear in emBEARassing.” Sigh. So I will just take pictures of us when I can and post them on the Internet. 🙂

Our drive to the Cancer Center this morning.
Our drive to the Cancer Center this morning.

The roads were pretty awful this morning, and we almost spun out on an overpass. However, EJ knows how to drive skillfully in snow so he was able to get us out of the spin very quickly. I’m thankful he drives us to the Cancer Center every day.

Room 2. I sit in the chair in front of EJ.
Room 2. I sit in the chair in front of EJ.

We were put in Room 2 today, which is my least favorite room. It is very small, windowless, and it barely fits JJ’s infusion chair and two chairs for EJ and me. I feel as if EJ and I are sitting in each other’s laps–which in other circumstances would be fine, but not when we have to spend five hours in this room. Still, it is very good to be back “home” in our Cancer Center with our kitchenette and familiar staff and regular routine. JJ’s primary nurse today was Sue, who is very nice and efficient.

During his intense weeks of Chemo, JJ usually starts feeling worse on Wednesdays and smiles less and less.  Thursdays and Fridays he feels progressively worse. He has felt rather miserable today, but he is doing mostly good.

The drive home was uneventful. About an hour after we got home, EJ had to leave for work. His company lets him take half day vacations on days when JJ has Chemo.

One more day to go, and this week of Chemo will be finished.

2 Comments on “Home Sweet Cancer Center

  1. Dear Teri it is so much together being exhausted ,waking up at night to comfort JJ and give him his pills, bad weather, driving in it, and than on top of all that the daily chemo. Not sitting comfortably but just to sit those hours out…..It is just amazing to see that you both are comfort to JJ and to see him feeling worse everyday. I just hold on to the fact that it will be good in the end and he will beat this. And I can only bring you daily to our Heavenly Father. And I know that He must be close to you all and carry you because that is the only way to be a trooper for so long. Love you all ❤


  2. Thank you for your daily prayers and encouragements, Simone. This week has seemed particularly long and grueling, but we are doing well even so.


I'd love to hear from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: